Wheelwright Lane Primary School
Wheelwright Lane Primary School Logo

SEND Information and Local Offer


All Warwickshire County Council maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the County Council Education and Learning Service to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.

What is the Local Offer?

  • The Children and Families Bill is now law from September 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.
  • See Warwickshire County Council Local Offer
Warwickshire Schools' Inclusion Charter

Our SEND Information Report

This utilizes the Warwickshire Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

If your Child has Special Educational Needs, what can we at Wheelwright Lane Primary School offer?

At Wheelwright Lane Primary School, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

Our school Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs Ruth Ford.

Please click on the 16 questions below for more information:

Q1: How do I apply for a school place if my child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)?

As a Warwickshire County Council maintained school, we follow the County Admissions Policy. All parents must apply directly to Warwickshire County Council for admission into the Reception class and any in-year transfers from other Authority Schools. Please see our Admissions page for more information.

We are committed to meeting the needs of all children including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. We would ask parents to discuss the identified needs with the school prior to starting so that appropriate intervention and support can be planned and implemented. Additionally, advice from Warwickshire County Council or other agencies may be requested to ensure the school can meet any needs appropriately.

Children and young people with an EHC Plan follow a different admission and transfer process for a new school (please refer to the Warwickshire County Council for specific guidance). Parents continue to have a right to request a particular school and this will be considered alongside the information that we have about your child’s special educational needs. The information would have been provided as part of the Education, Health and Care assessment or following the review meeting.

If you would like to discuss moving a child to our school please contact our school office. As a school, we aim to do the very best in order to make all children feel welcomed and included during transition. If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in more detail, please contact the school to arrange an appointment.

Q2: How is Wheelwright Lane accessible to children with SEND?
  • The school is fully compliant with DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) requirements.
  • The school is single-storey with a ramp on the Key Stage two playground and wheelchair access via the car park.
  • There is a disabled toilet.
  • We ensure wherever possible, equipment used, is accessible to all children.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for all children including children with SEND.
  • Individual children are supported at lunchtime by a member of staff, if their needs require specific support.
  • Teachers plan educational visits carefully, ensuring that the needs of individual children are met.
Q3: What are the different types of support available for children with SEND?
a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)

For your child this would mean:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place to encourage your child to be fully involved in the learning process. This may involve access to more practical learning opportunities.
  • Specific strategies (suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided if your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning. Extra support, if required, is available in school.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, eg. Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Warwickshire County Council central services, such as Specialist Teaching Service (STS), Flexible Learning and Ill-health Team, Speech and Language Service, Exhall Grange Vision Support Service.
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you, as parents, to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • A specialist professional will work with your child to make recommendations as to the best ways to support learning.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided through an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Warwickshire County Council central services, such as STS.
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean

  • The school (or you) can request that Warwickshire County Council carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount and type of support your child requires.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs an Educational Health Care Plan, the panel will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • When all reports have been received, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan includes:
    • Targets and recommendations from all professionals involved, an outline of the amount of additional (if appropriate) funding your child will receive from the Warwickshire County Council.
    • What and how the support should be used.
    • What strategies must be put in place.
    • Long- and short-term goals will be recommended.
  • An additional adult may be used; to support your child with whole class learning; to run individual programmes; or to run small groups. Alternatively, extra funding may be used to buy resources or to train staff and not necessarily be used for additional adult support.
  • In a few cases, parents of children with an EHC plan may request a Personal Budget. The SENDCo will discuss the details and policy regarding this.
Q4: How do we identify children with SEND and who do I contact if I have concerns?

If your child is identified as not making progress and/or staff have concerns about your child’s learning, the school will set up a meeting with the class teacher and/or SENDCo as necessary, to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Share our concerns.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professional.

The SENDCo will provide support for your child by regularly discussing your child’s needs with the class teacher. They will provide support for you and keep you fully informed of any referrals made to professionals and the outcome of those referrals.

Our school SENDCo is Ruth Ford. On 29 November 2017, Ruth has been awarded a Postgraduate Certificate in Special Educational Needs Coordination (TDA Endorsed) from the University of Northampton.

Q5: How are the school's resources allocated and matched to children's special educational needs?

The SEND budget is allocated each financial year. The SENDCo and most of Teaching Assistants are funded through the school’s general and dedicated budget.

The SENDCo and Headteacher meet regularly to discuss children’s needs, including continuing provision and identification of new support or resources, resulting in allocating resources from the budget on a needs basis. If the support required for a child costs more than is allocated in the SEND budget the school will apply for further funding from the central SEND budget through the higher needs funding allocation.

The SEN team regularly review provision and resources, taking into account the changing needs of all learners. The SEND budget is also used to purchase specific specialist support provided by professional services identified in Q14.

Q6: What are the parent consultation arrangements for my child and how can I be involved?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets taken from your child’s EHC plan or derived from the details contained in your child’s OPP (One Page Profile) will be reviewed with your involvement in January and July.
Q7: How will the school involve my child in their personal learning?

We understand how important it is for all children to be involved in their learning. We will involve your child through:

  • Reviewing their individual OPP details and discussing the progress made.
  • Including your child’s views in the review with parents and professionals.
  • Providing next steps in learning through verbal discussion with adults and effective feedback and marking during lessons.
  • Providing specific targets for English and Maths to improve an aspect of their work.
  • For children with an EHC Plan we will obtain their views and feelings about their work and progress and this will be included in their Annual Review.
Q8: What are the school’s arrangements for assessing my child’s progress against their targets?
  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress will be reviewed formally by the Headteacher and SENDCo termly.
  • If your child is in Reception then a sensitive approach will be adopted as delays may be due to your child’s age/maturity and possible adjustment to school life. We will closely monitor their learning and progress and any concerns will be discussed with you and the class teacher initially.
  • At the end of each Key Stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SAT). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally. If your child is not able to access the tests then their class teacher will assess their attainment and progress using national standards. Parents will be invited to talk with the HT, SENDCo and class teacher so that they are involved in the process.
  • Where necessary, children have an individual OPP (One Page Profile) based on their individual strengths and needs. Class teachers will set targets, designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets is reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan of intervention made.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENDCo and other members of the Senior Management Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.
Q9: How will we support your children when they are: 1. Joining this school, 2. Leaving this school, or, 3. Moving on to another class?

We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENDCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book (visual aids eg. Photographs of classroom and adults) to support them in understanding and moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book (visual aids eg. Photographs of classroom and adults) to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. OPPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book (visual aids eg. Photographs of classroom and adults) to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • On Induction Day, your child will meet and work with their new teacher.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book (visual aids eg. Photographs of classroom and adults) to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them.
Q10: What is the school’s approach to teaching children with SEND and how do we adapt the curriculum and the learning environment?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and to ensure that your child’s needs are met.

  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • The learning environment will be adapted as necessary to support your child, for instance to provide an area to support independent or one to one working.
  • Every classroom is communication friendly, using visual prompts and strategies recommended by STS. For example, all classrooms have visual timetables on display.
Q11: How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do the teachers have?

The SENDCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of all children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), speech and language difficulties and Social and Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) needs.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from STS and Educational Psychology Service.
  • Specialists from outside agencies work in partnership with the school to train staff and to develop specific expertise.
  • Some support staff have received training for Reading Recovery, Speech and Language Support, ASD approaches, Nurture and Therapeutic Story Writing Attachment Disorders, Precision Teaching and Sensory Integration.
Q12: How do we evaluate the effectiveness of the support given to your child?
  • Provision for individuals with an EHC Plan is evaluated in partnership with parents and other professionals at Annual Reviews. Recommendations are made and implemented by the school. The school may put in place mid-year reviews if we are concerned that the provision is not meeting your child’s needs.
  • Individual SEND provision is evaluated in partnership with parents and other professionals at OPP reviews for SEND children. Recommendations are made and implemented by the school.
  • SLT, informed by pupil progress meetings, make decisions about suitable and appropriate interventions and resources deployed to ensure accelerated learning to close the gap.
  • Intervention programmes are regularly reviewed by SENDCo and Headteacher to ensure that the programme is appropriate for your child and learning is improving.
  • The SENDCo monitors effectiveness of interventions through observations of whole class teaching and any group or individual intervention work.
  • Termly reviews take place to ensure that SEND children are making good progress.
Q13: How are children with SEND able to engage in activities that are available to all children in school?

Wheelwright Lane positively promotes inclusion. We recognise that individual children may have difficulties in accessing all that the school has to offer. We aim to meet all our children’s needs by:

  • Including SEND children in whole class teaching but may be withdrawn, on occasion, for specific identified work identified by the SENDCo and class teacher or professionals involved.
  • Supporting children at lunchtime and playtime, ensuring that they are able to make and play with friends and able to keep themselves safe.
  • Some children find making friends difficult and so the school will teach skills through PSHE, to help them make friends. This will sometimes be taught in small groups and through Nurture provision.
  • Working with our Sports coaches so that differentiated provision can be made for children to join in all curriculum sports and extra-curricular activities.
  • All children will be given the opportunities to speak and take part in class assemblies and school plays and extra support/resources will be allocated to ensure this takes place.
  • All trips, including residential trips, will be available to all children and any adjustments to activities or additional support needed will be allocated by the school.
  • All whole school activities will be available to all children and any specific support identified will be provided to enable all SEND children to participate in the life of the school.
Q14: How will we support your child’s social, emotional and mental health needs?

We recognise that some children have additional social, emotional and mental health needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum, including Protective Behaviours and Spring Fever Programmes to support their social and emotional development. However, for those children who find aspects of this more challenging, we offer :

  • The use of positive books to reinforce self-esteem and to share success with parents at home.
  • Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups.
  • Small group circle time sessions using a range of resources and strategies developed through work with the Consortium SEMH group.
  • Therapeutic Story Writing sessions.
  • Reading buddies – weekly paired social and reading sessions for children from Reception to Year 5.
  • Golden time is used in key stage one to encourage positive learning behaviour and independence.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the school can access further support through:

  • Early Help process.
  • Rise (formerly CAMHS)
  • Counselling Services
  • Vulnerable Learners Service
  • The Link Provision
Q15: Who are the other people providing services for children with SEND in our school?

Wheelwright Lane Primary School has a commitment to working in partnership with other professional bodies to meet the needs of all of our children.

Provision delivered in school is provided by both Warwickshire and Coventry County Councils depending on where your child lives. The school works with both county councils using the specific service from the list below:

  • Specialist Teaching Service (STS)
  • Educational Psychology Service (EPS)
  • Flexible Learning and Ill-health Team
  • Occupational Therapy Service (OT)
  • Physiotherapy Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information and Advice Service (SENDIAS)
  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)
  • Specific counselling services
  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse Service (Compass)
  • RISE (Emotional wellbeing and mental health services for children and young people)
  • Early Help Team
Q16: What can I do if I am unhappy with the provision for my child?

We are aware that there may be times when you are not happy with the advice or support given. We recommend that the following action:

  • Speak directly to your child’s class teacher, they will be able to offer advice and support.
  • Speak to the SENDCo for advice and guidance.
  • If you are still not satisfied then speak to the Headteacher who will inform you of the steps the school will take to support you and your child and also advise you of how to make a complaint through the school’s Complaints Policy.
  • If your child has an EHC Plan you can contact Warwickshire County Council, SENDAR Team or Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information and Advice Service (SENDIAS) for advice.
  • Parents may also refer to the independent disagreement resolution arrangements available from the county council.

Also see: